The AS9100 is a broadly adopted and standardized quality management system for the aerospace industry. It was established in October, 1999, by the Society of Automotive Engineers and the European Association of Aerospace Industries. Quality and reliability are very critical for the aerospace product manufacturer. In such environment implementation and effectiveness of quality management system plays an key role in helping to reduce risks.
Quality management systems have been used in the aerospace industry for many years. Efforts by members of the aerospace industry to establish a single common Quality Management System resulted in AS9100, 9110, 9120.
- AS9100 - Quality Management System Requirements for Design and/or Manufacture of Aerospace Products
- AS9110 - Quality Management System Requirements for Maintenance Organizations
- AS9120 - Quality Management System Requirements for Stockist Distributors
The Aerospace Standards are a series of specific standards based on ISO 9001 and developed by the International Aerospace Quality Group (IAQG) to provide international consistency and address the specific regulatory, safety and reliability requirements demanded by the aerospace sector.
The aerospace series of standards cover the complete spectrum of organizations working within the aerospace sector, from design and manufacture to maintenance organizations and distributors of aerospace products.
AS9100 implementation leads to:-
- Managed productivity and efficiency, controlling costs
- Conformance to Legal and Regulatory Requirements
- POLICIES & OBJECTIVES set by 'top management'
- Controlled consistency of manufactured products
- Competitive advantage and increased marketing and sales opportunities.
- Improved customer perception of the organization’s image, culture and performance.
- improved internal and external Communications
- greater understanding of the organization's processes
- clear responsibilities and authorities agreed for all staff
- improved use of time and resources
- reduced wastage
- greater consistency and traceability of products and services
- Customer Confidence, Satisfaction and TRUST
- Level of Assurance in Organisational QUALITY
- Organisational PROFITABILITY
- Ability to Differentiate Organisation for Competitive Advantage
- Organisational Credibility & Reputation
Achievement of certification to AS9100, 9110 or 9120 demonstrates a consistent approach to the aerospace industry accepted standards.