FSSC 22000 Consultants in India
FSSC 22000 covers a complete certification scheme for Food Safety Systems based on existing standards for certification of ISO 22000:2005(Food Safety Management Systems Requirements) and PAS 220:2008 (Prerequisite Programmes on Food Safety for Food Manufacturing).
FSSC 22000:2010 (Food Safety System Certification) is an international standard developed for the certification of Food Safety Management Systems for food manufacturing organisations.
The Food Safety System Certification scheme FSSC 22000 (Also referred to as FS22000) is a Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) benchmarked certification scheme. The inclusion of ISO 22000 requirements in the FSSC 22000 standard makes it align with other generic management systems such as the ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 to enable effective system integration. FSSC 22000 is a complete certification scheme for food safety management systems.
ISO 22000 is very useful to harmonize the food safety management systems based on the HACCP principles; its general nature limits its suitability for the retailers to guarantee their own supply chain, needing more detailed and food manufacturing specific “pre-requisite program” related requirements (e.g., with regards to the “due diligence” issue).
FSSC 22000 is a complete certification scheme for food safety management systems. It is based on ISO 22000, the global food safety management system standard and PAS 220, a standard developed to address prerequisite programme requirements for food product and ingredient manufacturers. The requirements and guidelines of FSSC 22000 are described in four parts:
- Part I – requirements of food safety system and guidance on how to apply for certification
- Part II – requirements for providing certification, including the regulation for certification bodies and the harmonization committee
- Part III – requirements for providing accreditation, including the regulation for accreditation bodies
- Part IV – regulations for the Board of Stakeholders
Where is it applicable?
FSSC 22000 is specifically designed for food manufacturers. The scheme is intended for the audit and certification of the food safety management system of food manufacturers that process or manufacture:
- Perishable animal products, excluding slaughtering and pre-slaughtering (i.e. meat, poultry, eggs, dairy and fish products);
- Perishable vegetal products (i.e. fresh fruits and fresh juices, preserved fruits, fresh vegetables, preserved vegetables)
- Products with long shelf life at ambient temperature (i.e. canned products, biscuits, snacks, oil, drinking water, beverages, pasta, flour, sugar, salt)
- (Bio) chemical products for food manufacturing (i.e. vitamins additives and bio-cultures) but excluding technical and technological aids.
Note: transport and storage on site and as part of the operation are included (e.g. cheese ripening). It is applicable to all food manufacturing organisations in these categories, regardless of size and complexity, whether profit-making or not and whether public or private.
- Covers important food safety aspects often over looked in the food manufacturing sector
- Substantially strengthens ISO 22000Certification
- Proven business credentials
- Legal compliance – by verifying conformity to statutory and regulatory requirements
- Reduced operating costs
- Customer satisfaction
›How can I prepare for certification?
The process described in FSSC 22000 includes the following steps:
- Identify, evaluate, and control the food safety hazards that may be expected to occur in order to avoid harming the consumer directly or indirectly
- Communicate appropriate information through the food chain regarding safety issues related to the product
- Communicate information concerning development, implementation, and updating of the food safety management system throughout the organization
- Evaluate periodically and update, when necessary, the food safety management system to cover the company’s actual activities and the most recent information on food safety hazards.
One of the most important things to remember is that development, implementation, documentation and certification of a food safety management system is a continuous journey, with the independent audit representing one element of the total assessment process.
›Does it applicable to food product packaging Industries also?
Extension of scope FSSC 22000 with Food Packaging Material Manufacturing The Foundation for Food Safety Certification, owner of the FSSC 22000 certification scheme, will extend the certification scope of FSSC 22000 with Packaging Material Manufacturing according the recent publication of the PAS 223 – Prerequisite programmes and design requirements for food safety in the manufacture and provision of food packaging.
The PAS 223 is developed by a Steering Group, consisting of leading global packaging and food manufacturing companies. The fact that members of the working group are representatives from international food manufacturers (like Coca Cola, Unilever, Danone, Nestlé, Kraft) but also from international packaging material manufacturers (like TetraPak, Rexam, Amcor, O-I, Berry Plastics) gives the Board of the Foundation great confidence that there will be a need for certification.
Next to the need for extension of the FSSC scope this development is also in line with the commitment for FSSC from the international food manufacturers. They are in favour of the supply chain model in which FSSC can provide certification for more sectors in the supply chain, based on ISO 22000 and technical specifications for sector PRP’s. At this moment experts from the Packaging Material Industry and the Foundation are working on this extension of scope.
›What if my company is currently ISO 22000 certified?
If your company is currently ISO 22000 certified, then the only requirement will be an additional and typically shorter audit to verify compliance of your system to the requirements of PAS 220:2008. An FSSC 22000 certificate will be issued following successful audit.
›Steps for FSSC 22000 certification :
- Gap-analysis, to help you understand your best route to certification
- Training on FSSC 22000, ISO 22000 and PAS 220 – ISO TS 22002-1
- Documentation, implementation and certification support activities according to FSSC 22000:2010 standard requirements
Niall offer’s a customized training programme on FSSC 22000:2010 for
- FSSC 22000:2010 - Awareness on implementation and documentation requirements
- FSSC 22000:2010 - Internal Auditor training
- Workshop on Aspect – Impact identification for your industry