ISI stands for the Indian Standards Institute, a body set up when India gained Independence to create standards needed for orderly commercial growth and maintaining quality in industrial production.
ISI mark which means a standard of quality laid down by the Bureau of Indian Standards is offered after stringent checks. But instead of being voluntary, adherence to standards must be made mandatory for all products. Only then can we hope to get an assurance of quality. BIS also provides other quality check certificates also, like AGMARK, Hallmark etc. this defers on product category.
ISI Mark Certification:
Certification allows the licensees to use the popular ISI Mark / ISI Certification, which has become synonymous with quality product for the Indian and neighboring markets. ISI Mark / ISI Certification assures the user of a product that it conforms to the requirements of relevant Indian standard. The BIS product certification / ISI Mark Certification scheme is recommended for given below products.
- PRESSED CERAMIC TILES - IS 15622
- Tiles - IS 1237, IS 13753, IS 13801
- Cement and Concrete Products
- Admixture - IS 9103
- Adhesive for use with ceramic, mosaic and stone tiles - IS 15477
- Bitumen Felts for Water Proofing and Damp-proofing - IS 1322
- Integral Waterproofing Compounds for Cement Mortar and Concrete - IS 2645
- Building Materials
- Pumping, Irrigation, Drainage and Sewage equipment
- Pipes and Fittings for water supply
- Rubber and Plastic Products
- Chemical Products
- Machinery and Equipment
- Power Threshers - Safety Requirements - IS 9020
- Electrical and Electronics Equipment
- Drinking Water - IS 14543
- Testing Instruments
- Face Mask / N95 Mask / Medical Mask / Surgical Mask / Full Face Mask - IS 16289, IS 9473, IS 14746
- All Class Mask - IS 16289, IS 9473, IS 14746
- MEDICAL TEXTILES - COVERALLS FOR COVID-19 - IS 17423
- PPE Kit
The BIS product certification scheme is essentially voluntary in nature and is largely based on ISO Guide 28 which provides general rules for third party certification system of determining conformity with product standards.